Episode 15 - Kasha Varnishkes
This dish is rated Fleshig and can be eaten with meat meals only.
Watch Video | Shownotes
- Large Pot with Cover
2 quarts baking dish
- 1 cup medium KASHA (buckwheat groats, can be found kosher section of supermarket)
1 tbls. vegtable oil
1 four ounce can sliced mushrooms or 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms (any variety)
1 beef boulion cube
2 cups boiling water
1 medium onion
1 cup bowtie pasta
salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Beat egg slightly.
- Dice onions.
- Boil 2 cups of water in small saucepan.
- Place boulion cube in that boiling water and stir til disolved.
- Put oil into a heated frying pan and saute mushrooms and onions.
- Boil water in your bowtie pasta pot and cook pasta according to box directions.
- Set oven to 250 to 300 degrees.
- Place KASHA in pot that has a cover meant for oven.
- Stir in egg well to cover the KASHA.
- Place KASHA pot in oven without the cover for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Take out and stir and make sure your KASHA is dry and slightly expanded.
- Mix in the onions and mushrooms into the KASHA.
- Add liquid boulion to KASHA and stir.
- Put cover on pot and place in oven for thirty minutes.
- When done place KASHA in large bowl and stir in bowties.
NOTE: Optional serve with gravy if you like.
Can be served as a side dish with pot roast or other meat or chicken.